Self-knowledge is a Quest

 


The journey you take with intent to know yourself might just be the most complex one of them all. I say this because of the absence of a linear progression of the activities that affect pysche and build personality. As more events occur that subject my perception to different emotions and reactions, self-observation has allowed me to recognize behavioural patterns which I can attribute to my character. In the same sphere of observation a new discovery of my character lurks. The usual recognition of patterns in my behaviour is an affirmation for the person I can boldly say I am. 

For example, when I say I am a confident person it is a mental progression and build up of observations of the way I have reacted in situations that have summoned my confidence and it showed up. I mentioned earlier that this is not linear. An instance that would require me to show up confident could arise and I act in contrast. Now, in that moment of my reluctance a contradiction of what I have established myself to be arises. This moment doesn’t take away from the many times I exhibited the character trait, it merely reflects the non-linearity and complexity of a self-knowledge journey.

It is important to bear awareness of this complexity of getting to know yourself. Understanding this creates a mental environment to be lenient towards yourself. By doing so, we can cultivate a deeper understanding of ourselves and stimulate a more compassionate and accepting mindset. Beauty comes from embracing the many times you question yourself, because that is when the quest for self-knowledge begins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inauguration: Embark with me

A turning point in the midst of despair

The Knowing